AmeriCorps VISTA Program Manager
Title: AmeriCorps VISTA Program Manager
Supervisor: Oregon Campus Compact (ORCC) Executive Director
Mission: ORCC is motivated by the belief that students have the power to change the world. We activate higher education to place more students on a lifelong path of civic engagement. Enhancing learning and strengthening communities through service is what we call Higher Impact Education!
Purpose: The AmeriCorps VISTA Program Manager provides support to the Executive Director and manages all elements of the AmeriCorps VISTA program including the planning, implementation, and evaluation of the program in partnership with our campus partners. The AmeriCorps VISTA Program Manager works collaboratively with campuses to support AmeriCorps VISTA members serving to eliminate poverty by addressing educational disparities, a root cause of poverty.
Environment: ORCC is a small nonprofit located in downtown Portland. Bike parking, easy access to public transportation, showers, an open concept office and a commitment to work/life balance and equity make this a great place to work.
Campus Site Support (25%)
- Coordinates competitive sub-grant processes;
- Provides technical assistance for developing strong VISTA projects;
- Conducts site visits to campuses throughout year;
- Supports campuses throughout the member recruitment and placement process;
- Assists in identifying and assembling subject matter for training of campus supervisors and schedules time and space for training;
- Trains and orients campus supervisors.
Member Support (25%)
- Runs a recruitment campaign for members;
- Supports candidates throughout the member recruitment and placement process;
- Trains and orients AmeriCorps VISTA Members;
- Provides on-going technical assistance and project support to VISTA team, in coordination with the VISTA Leader.
Supervision & Management (20%)
- Provides oversight and guidance to the VISTA Leader;
- Supervises VISTA projects related to the ORCC Student Advisory Board and the Martin Luther King Jr. Day Collaborative;
- Meets weekly with each VISTA direct report;
- Provides on-going coaching, supervision, and feedback to VISTA direct reports.
Training Plan & Curriculum Development (15%)
- Assists in identifying and assembling subject matter for training of AmeriCorps Members and schedules time and space for training;
- Conducts training needs assessments;
- Develops courses, curriculum, and training modules for use with VISTA team and other ORCC constituents;
- Ensures that the racial, cultural, and class diversity within the team is honored and taken into consideration when developing and implementing dialogue and training.
Evaluation and Reporting (10%)
- Collects and gathers data and stories on VISTA program to inform and highlight the program to funders and constituents via required federal reporting, media releases, and online communication outlets;
- Develops and maintains record keeping systems for the program;
- Corrects and completes computerized data relating to the program;
- Contributes to and assembles program related reports;
- Analyzes program data and implements changes to ensure continuous improvement;
- Attends meetings and workshops to increase awareness and understanding of the program and its functions;
- Prepares and assists in the preparation of written materials for printing and distribution (e.g., flyers, newsletters, promotional advertisements, posters, press releases);
- Gives public presentations through local media, fairs, shows, information booths, classroom presentations, community organizations to increase awareness of program;
- Organizes promotional activities (e.g., schedules events and rooms, arranges for materials, obtains required staffing);
- Responds to questions from members and constituents regarding the program;
- Works closely with the Oregon office for the Corporation for National and Community Service;
- Assists in coordinating alumni efforts for the AmeriCorps VISTA program.
Budgeting & Fiscal Management (5%)
- Manages VISTA operational grant from the Corporation for National & Community Service including assisting the Executive Director in developing program budgets and budget amendments;
- Processes payments, reimbursements, and financial reports.
- Contributes to other areas within ORCC, including assisting with events and program assistance as assigned;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to support and train members across racial, cultural, class, and gender differences;
- Experience with AmeriCorps VISTA or national service programs is desired;
- Knowledge and/or experience with service-learning, higher education/community partnerships;
- Program coordination and management;
- Event planning, training/adult education, media/public relations;
- Excellent organizational and communication skills;
- Experience supervising staff and leading teams;
- Valid Driver’s License required.
Bachelor degree required with 1-3 years of related national service experience preferred.
The starting annual salary rate for this position will be between $36,000.00-$44,000.00, dependant upon qualifications and experience with a competitive benefits package including healthcare, dental, mental health, alternative care, retirement, short term disability, and vacation package.
This position requires travel out of state, as well as in state. Valid driver’s license required. Out of state applicants, if chosen must obtain an Oregon’s driver’s license within 3 months.
Relationship With Others
Employees have regular contact with the public, in person, via email, and by telephone, to promote awareness of and interest in the AmeriCorps VISTA program and to persuade the public to take an active part as AmeriCorps Members or participating sites. Employee will have occasional contact in person, via email, and by telephone with members of the media or legislature to promote awareness of a program, project, or event.
Employees receive general supervision from the Executive Director who reviews the work through daily informal personal contact and/or weekly or monthly meetings and conferences. Work is reviewed to assess progress and conformance to program goals and objectives. Work is also reviewed through written narrative reports and observation of written program documents to determine effectiveness and conformance to agency/program procedures. Employees use agency policies and procedures, State and Federal rules and regulations, and program procedural manuals as guidelines in providing program services and dealing with the public.
Please send cover letter, resume, responses to supplemental questions, and 3 references to email@example.com with VISTA Program Manager in the subject line. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Oregon Campus Compact (www.oregoncampuscompact.org) is an affiliate chapter of Campus Compact, a national coalition of college and university presidents committed to the civic purposes of higher education.
VISTA Program Manager Supplemental Questions:
- Describe your ability or previous experience working in a community that is not your own. Discuss your process for assessing community needs, developing sustainable and reciprocal partnerships, and working across differences.
- Explain your experience managing other VISTA or national service programs. If you have not managed a national service program, share an experience or the skills you possess that would allow you to effectively manage a complex, multi-site program, spread across a broad geographic area with attention to detail and interpersonal relationships.
- Describe your skills and experiences developing and conducting training. If possible, specifically discuss your experience leading conversations and learning on race, power, privilege, and educational and/or economic disparities.